If you are anything like me you spend 8 to 12 hours a day sitting at a computer (sometimes more). Often times hours blend into days, days blend into weeks, and you find yourself lost in the never ending email stream and content updates to the website(s). This can cause you to feel unmotivated and down right bored. I have a few ways to stay motivated that I would like to share with you.
1) I create a checklist of the tasks that I must complete each day, at the end of the day for the following work day. I put this list beside my keyword on a note pad. I know what you are thinking, why in the world would you use a note pad in 2010? Well it just feels better striking the pen through the task with a check mark. Its kind of like a mini victory every time you do it.
2) I try to drink a large glass of water at least every 2 hours. This keeps my organs and brain running smoothly and the weight from piling on from snacking at my desk. Instead of eating powdered donuts or candy, I just drink water and it makes me feel full. This is a net good thing for everything in your life. Feeling good is important to staying productive and motivated.
3) Every 3 hours I spend 15 minutes on Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, or similar just to clear my head and have a good laugh. It is important to break up the work flow and refresh your brain. The speed at which news happens online these days also justifies checking into the social webs, you may learn something new and can relate it to what you are doing online.
4) I get up from my desk and stretch my legs and go outside for a few minutes at least twice a day. Even if it is just to stand in front of my townhouse and breathe the fresh air. You would be surprised how nature and the sounds of birds can reinvigorate you.
5) Take time to call your loved ones and listen to how their day is going. I always feel better after I speak with my girlfriend and talk about what we are having for dinner or what we are doing in the night. Family first.
6) I ensure that I keep some good tunes playing in the background at all times. Just loud enough for me to hear it but not loud enough to interfere with a client if they call me.
How about you, what do you do to stay motivated at your desk job? Have a great weekend!